It is the most popular Developer occupation today. Its no wonder then that there are dozens of online and in-person programs that will help people Become full stack Developers land high paying programming jobs. Some online programs can be found everywhere. Aside from these online programs, there are also in-person coding Bootcamps that are teaching people the skills required to become web developers. We will provide you with the definitive guide to what we believe are the most important skills to become a full stack web developer today and land a job if you have never coded before.
The Definitive Guide
A full stack Web Developer is one who is able to work on both the Front-end and Back-end portions of an application. Front-end generally refers to the portion of an application the user will see or interact with, and the Back-end is the part of the application that handles the logic, Database interactions, User authentication, Server Configuration etc.
Being a full stack Developer doesn’t mean that you have necessarily mastered everything required to work with the Front-end or Back-end, but it means that you are able to work on both sides and understand what is going on when building an application. If you want to become a full stack Developer then you should learn few of the things of list.
Almost every single program, whether online or in person, that is teaching you how to be a Web Developer will start with HTML and CSS because they are the building blocks of the web. Simply put, HTML allows you to add content to a website and CSS is what allows you to style your content. The following things related to HTML/CSS come up often in interviews and on the actual job when you are working:-
- Semantic HTML
- Be able to explain the CSS box model
- Benefits of CSS pre-processors
- CSS media queries to target different devices and write responsive CSS.
- Understand how to work with the DOM. Also must know what is JSON and how to manipulate it.
- Important language features such as functional composition, prototypal inheritance, closures, event delegation, scope, higher-order functions
- Learn to do proper structure of your code and modularize parts of it, things like web pack, Browserify, or build tools like gulp will definitely be helpful to Understand.
- Know how to use at least one popular framework.
- Although some may argue that you should be using this less or its slowly dying, JQuery code still exists in most applications and a solid understanding of it will be very helpful.
- Learn about some important new ES6 features.
3. Back-end Language
Some popular frameworks for development are Ruby on Rails and Sinatra. Plenty of programs teach ruby as a first Back-end language.
Some popular frameworks for developing in python are Django and flask.
This language is not taught so much these days when it comes to full stack development, but some companies do use Java as their Back-end and it is still in demand.
PHP is rarely taught in programs these days, but just like with Java, it is still very in demand and it is a cornerstone of the web today.
4. Databases and Web Storage
When you are learning to build Web Applications, at some point you will probably want to store data somewhere and then access it later. You should have a good grasp on the following things related to Database and Storage.
- Understand the benefits of Relational Data
- Learn about NO SQL Database e.g mongo DB
- Understand which could be better in certain situations
- Know how to connect a Database with your chosen Back-end language
- Scaling Database, ACID, and ORM.
5. HTTP and REST
HTTP is a Stateless Application Protocol on the internet – what allows clients to communicate with servers. Some important topics which we should learn about are:
- What is REST and why is it important in regards to the HTTP protocol and Web Applications.
- Best practices for designing a RESTful API.POST/GET requests.
- Learning how to use chrome dev TOOLS can be extremely helpful.
- What are SSL certificates?
6. Web Application Architecture
- Performance optimization for applications and modern browsers.
- Some opinions on what a web application architecture should include.
- Designing web applications by Microsoft.
- Most important is you should try to work on projects with people.
It is a version control system that allows developers working with a team to keep track of all the changes being made on a codebase. It’s important to know a few important things related to Git so that you understand how to properly get the latest code that you have missed, update parts of the code, make fixes, and change others code without breaking things.
8. Basic Algorithms and Data Structures
This is somewhat polarizing in the developing world because there are developers who don’t think there should be a heavy focus on computer science topics like tree traversal, sorting algorithm analysis, Matrix manipulation, etc. in Web Development. While there are companies that practically require applicants to have a computer science degree or equivalent, there are plenty of companies that will hire people without this technical qualification if they can prove that they know how to Develop Applications of the whole domain.
- Know when to use an Object vs an Array and understand the trade-offs
- Learn why Caching is so important while working on large data.
- Learn the difference between Queue and Stack.